Sunday, November 18, 2007

Meatball Soup

I have a theory that everyone should have at least one really delicious soup recipe.

This meatball soup might be mine. I've been on a soup-making kick lately, and tried this recipe last week. It was hearty and delicious, which was good since it made a pretty large batch (it lasted us almost a week!). It also cooks quickly, as far as soups go. Steve agreed it deserves a place in our regular meal rotation (though he says that about a good many dishes...what a great husband).

Look out for my first meme (yeah, like a dork I had to look it up too), to be posted soon! Yay, I'm like a real blogger or something.

Meatball Soup
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
8 ounces lean ground beef
2 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium beef broth
1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes with Italian herbs, undrained
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup dried bow tie pasta
3 cups fresh spinach, torn

In a medium bowl, combine egg, bread crumbs, onion, garlic powder and pepper. Add ground beef, and mix well. Shape meat mixture into thirty-six 3/4-inch meatballs. Lightly coat a large skillet with cooking spray. Cook meatballs over medium heat about 8 minute, turning occasionally to brown evenly. Set meatballs aside. In a large saucepan, stir together broth, tomatoes, mushrooms and water. Bring to boiling. Add pasta, and return to boiling. Reduce heat, and simmer covered for 10-12 minutes until pasta is tender. Stir in meatballs and spinach. Cook for 1-2 minutes until spinach wilts. Serves 5.

11 comments:

  1. MMmmm...and but for the beef, there would I go! I'm sure ground turkey (ugh...I'll admit it, ground meat of any sort makes me feel a bit...ick) would be equally tasty? My Great Soup recipe is one I stole from Chookooloonks (see my blogroll) and is a Trinidad(ian) dumpling soup. Which I have made...once. But it was really, really good! Thanks for the comment!

    Maya
    www.chocklate2.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, so delicious. and the best part about soup is you can make a lot and have leftovers for days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it so soup season? I keep wanting to get back to all of the recipes that I've bookmarked (like the fennel-crusted pork roast!), but the only comforting solution to this 30-40 degree COLD is something in the liquid form of hot, steaming, savory goodess. Hot rice on the side with furikake is an added bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks delicious! I am definitely going to try it out. I am always looking for dishes with lots of leftovers, so I can eat those for lunch at the office instead of dreaded lean cuisines. Especially now that it's (finally) getting colder outside, this recipe looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cooking and totally agree on the importance of a soup recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a good recipe. I'll have to print it out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That soup looks fantastic and perfect for when it finally gets cold...yummmm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds delicious! I am a total "soup" person; I'm fairly certain I could live on them. I will definitely be trying this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUM! That is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. mmm... this looks so satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  11. yum!!!

    I agree with you -- I have one homemade soup recipe that I love making. I think I want to make it my signature dush.

    ReplyDelete