Thursday, April 10, 2008

Apricot Scones

Whew! It's been a long week - including jury duty, applying for a new passport with my married name, and hitting my weight goal(!). Each of these deserves its very own post, so stay tuned. I just don't have the capacity to articulate much right now. But before I go wind down with my evening ritual of The Year of Living Biblically and sudoku, here's a recipe for you.

Scones...to be perfectly honest, I am usually not too enthralled by scones. They are overly dry and crumbly for my taste. I suppose I am more of the fluffy scone persuasion. So I've been on a quest to find a scone recipe that fit my liking, which has led to the discovery of this version. Here it is - scones with a light, airy and perfectly moist texture. The original recipe called for raisins, but I went apricots instead. When served warm, with some morning coffee, they are a wonderful breakfast. Beware, they get addicting!

Apricot Scones
3/4 cup dried apricots, cut into fourths
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cold butter
1 cup sour cream
2 egg yolks

Topping:
1 egg white
1 teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Place apricot pieces in a bowl. Cover with hot water and let stand for 5 minutes. Drain well and set aside. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine sour cream and egg yolks; add to crumb mixture. Stir in apricots just until blended. Turn onto a floured surface; knead gently 8-10 times. Divide into four portions. On ungreased baking sheets, pat dough into 4-inch circles. Cut each into 2 wedges, but do not separate. Beat egg white; brush over dough. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over tops. Bake at 425 degrees for 15-18 minutes or until golden. Serve warm. Yields 8 scones.

12 comments:

  1. Hitting your weight goal?! Woot! Can't wait to hear more about that one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on hitting your goal weight! I sooo look forward to the day when I can say that, but it won't be for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate jury duty.

    But I'm pretty sure I'd love those scones. They look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats on your weight goal!! that's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on everything you accomplished this week! And these scones? Definitely a delicious way to celebrate. Thanks for including the recipe; it's definitely one I'm hanging on to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. these look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1) those scones look delicious!!
    2) Ugh jury duty. Sorry you had to do that.
    3) Congrats on the weight goal!
    4) How is "A Year of Living Biblically?" I read Jacob's first book, but haven't gotten to that one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look really delicious! Congrats on the weight goal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How in the world did you hit your weight goal with food like that? You're seriously insane. I'm jealous. Share your secret.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on hitting your weight goal! That is awesome news!

    I'd love to try the scones, but I'm still about 10 pounds away from my weight goal. lol. Guess they'll have to wait!

    ReplyDelete
  11. MMMM! Those look awesome. If you want I can add a link from my cooking blog to yours and post the recipe. They look so yummy, and I am totally with you on the scone front!

    ReplyDelete