Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Berry Smoothie Popsicles


Are you disciplined when it comes to eating healthily and getting exercise?

For the most part, I am a pretty healthy person. I don't snack very often, eat in moderation, and try to stay physically active. But some days and weeks, that discipline slips away. This past week was one of those times. I made some poor food choices, didn't exercise at all, and ended up gaining back a few pounds. People might shrug at this, and ask, "What's the big deal?" The big deal is that I know myself. I know that if I don't quickly and decisively change course, I am going to just keep making bad health decisions, and get further and further away from the standard of health I want to have.

So I am going back to some old guidelines: drink lots of water, exercise (e.g. go for extended walks with my son) at least three times a week, dessert once a week, snack on fruits and vegetables. Sticking to these rules takes a good measure of intentionality on my part, but it is worth the work if it means maintaining my health.

I recently found a set of popsicle molds at Target, and decided to put them to good use. These berry smoothie popsicles are easy to make - just blend fruit, yogurt and milk, freeze, and you have yourself a healthy afternoon snack.

Berry Smoothie Popsicles
1 cup vanilla yogurt
3/4 cup frozen mixed berries
1/4 cup milk

Mix all ingredients in a blender for about 10 seconds so that mixture is thick, but liquid enough to pour. Pour into popsicle molds. Freeze for at least four hours. Makes 4 popsicles.

0 comments:

Post a Comment