Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day


There's a children's book titled Alexander and Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. That is how I would have described my day at precisely 9:25am today, when I had a certifiable melt-down.

It happened to be one of those mornings when a small incident turned into a series of incidents, and that series of incidents all bottle-necked into a big ball of frustration.

Aaron woke up two hours earlier than usual. Then upon entering our kitchen, I discovered the annoyingly persistent ant problem had returned in full force. This was particularly bothersome today, since we were expecting a large number of guests who would undoubtedly judge us for our apparent uncleanliness and never return to visit us again (which is completely untrue, but that is the conclusion my brain came to. We actually have very gracious and non-judging friends). While simultaneously fixing breakfast, consoling my inconsolable and very fussy son, and cleaning the house for the guests, I tried to fix the ant problem by hosing the highway of ants with bleach. When it seemed like the chaos of the morning was settling into manageability, I looked down and saw that bleach had gotten sprayed onto the front of my blouse. And not just any blouse, but a new blouse that I had been particularly excited to wear. In my ruined, bleach-splotched new blouse, all inner reserves of peace, grace, and adaptability went out the window, and I had a melt-down.

I cried, I directed a few choice curse words towards the universe, I slammed doors and stomped around like a little child who wasn't getting her way. It was not a pretty moment.

Thankfully, I have a husband who talks me down from The Bad Place, and the rest of the day was actually pretty great. I suppose today ended up as Larissa and the the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Morning, and a Decent Rest of the Day.

I suppose we all have our melt-downs at one time or another. I hope tomorrow is a better day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment