Friday, December 31, 2010

Reflections on 2010


Posting my reflections on my year is something I've been doing for several years now. It is always a good exercise for me - it helps me have clarity on the year, and gives me a sense of where I'm headed. Here are my thoughts on 2010:

1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?
Got a pixie haircut. Purchased and moved into our first home (hello, mortgage payments!). Started a business.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Last year I didn't make any particular resolutions. This year I want to maintain healthy eating, exercise and rest habits. I also want to grow in patience and love toward people.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Nope.
 

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yes. We had a miscarriage several months ago. Even though it was early, and we didn't feel that connected with the baby and pregnancy, it was still extremely sad.


5. What countries did you visit?
None.


6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
Focus.

7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
March 1st, the day we officially became homeowners.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Taking risks and pursuing new things, such as starting my first book.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Being undisciplined with eating and exercise, and losing my temper with my son.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
No.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
My iPhone 4. 


12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My husband, for surviving multiple surgeries and 4 awful months on crutches.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
No one in particular.


14. Where did most of your money go?
Our house mortgage.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Spending Christmas in Hawaii with my family. 

16. What song will always remind you of 2010?
"Nothin' On You" by B.o.B.


17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
b) thinner or fatter?
c) richer or poorer?
Happier, neither thinner nor fatter, and a little bit poorer.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Running and reading.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Watching TV. 

20. How did you spend Christmas?
We went to Hawaii for three glorious weeks. We spent Christmas day with my horde of aunts, uncles and cousins, playing games and eating an insane amount of food.

21. How did you spend New Year's?
We're going to host friends for a night of games and drinks.

22. Did you fall in love in 2010?
Yes, with Words With Friends.

23. How many one night stands?
None, which is certainly a good thing.

24. What was your favorite TV program?
Top Chef.


25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No.

26. What was the best book you read?
The Artist's Way, by Julia Cameron.

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Bruno Mars. Everything about his voice is awesome.

28. What did you want and get?
A good, non-frumpy-mom haircut.

29. What did you want and not get?
The superpower of time travel.


30. What was your favorite film of this year?
Inception.

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 29 on January 18th, and celebrated with my fantastic friends. 

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Steve not having a knee injury in February.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
Rihanna + vintage hippie + jeggings + statement accessories.


34. What kept you sane?
My weekly time at the park with my girlfriends and their little kids, my friend Chante, and breath prayer.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Katy Perry, skanky outfits and all.

36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Most politics annoy me. So...everything.

37. Who did you miss?
Certain friends who I don't see that often.

38. Who was the best new person you met? 
Mario Lopez.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010. 
Marriage can help you thrive even during the most trying times.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. 
 "If I lay here, If I just lay here, would you lie with me and just forget the world?" (from "Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol).

0 comments:

Post a Comment