Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Big, Fat, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies


Tomorrow morning I am headed home to Hawaii for my friend Katy's wedding.

Katy and I have known each other for 23 years. We met in Mrs. Welsh's class on the first day of 3rd grade. Both newcomers to the elementary school, she and I struck up an immediate friendship. We had slumber parties, schemed to get our younger siblings to marry each other so we could be family (never happened), gave each other moral support during the horrible adolescent years, mourned breakups, and basically did everything together. Now we're all grown up, and I get to see her marry a really great guy.

And bonus, I'll be in Hawaii for several days! I'm particularly excited to travel by myself, be spontaneous (which is very hard if you have a toddler to chase after), and eat good food with family.

Anyhow, before I jet off on my mini vacation, I thought I'd leave you with some chocolate chip cookies. These cookies are pretty great. As the name implies, they are big and chewy, reminiscent of cookies found in bakeries. Tip: scoop some vanilla ice cream onto a cookie, top with a second cookie, and make a truly delicious cookie ice cream sandwich.

Big, Fat, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies (from All Recipes)


2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper. Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside. In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended. Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy. Mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand using a wooden spoon. Drop cookie dough 1/4 cup at a time onto the prepared cookie sheets. Cookies should be about 3 inches apart. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are lightly toasted. Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely. Makes about 18 cookies.

1 comment:

  1. Best cookie recipe I've ever found and I'm one of those people for whom the ultimate chocolate chip recipe is like my great white whale. I actually found this blog and recipe by searching for images of chewy and crispy chocolate chip cookies. If it wasn't for the pic up top, I probably wouldn't have ever found this recipe so I give you all the credit. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete