Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Reflections on 2012

Past years: 20072008200920102011

1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
Took a 6-month sabbatical from work.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

Instead of making resolutions in 2012, I practiced 12 habits and had 12 DIY projects. Some of the habits stuck, and some were total failures. Waking up at 6:30am was way too ambitious! I loved the habits that I practiced this year, and want to do something like it again in 2013.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

My brother and sister-in-law had a girl in February, and we welcomed our daughter Alex in August.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

No. 

5. What countries did you visit?

None.

6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
More space in my life to pray and write. Those two activities are important to me, but I struggle to make time for them.

7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
August 7, the day our daughter was born.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Completing some book manuscripts. Birthing a baby with no pain medication. Thriving as a parent of two young children.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Not keeping more in touch with friends. Not finishing certain projects. 

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Some back and neck pains during pregnancy, but nothing major.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Good running shoes.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Aaron's. While he now has to share his parents with a finicky, crying sibling who can't play with him yet, he has grown in patience, love, and maturity. 

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
No one's.

14. Where did most of your money go?
House mortgage. Hawaii groceries (they are freaking expensive).

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Downton Abbey. Six whole months in Hawaii. Our new baby.

16. What song will always remind you of 2011?
Unfortunately, Gangnam Style.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
b) thinner or fatter?
c) richer or poorer?

Happier, neither thinner nor fatter, richer.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Sleeping.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of? 
Worrying about what others think of me.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
On Maui. 85 degrees, fun with cousins, opening gifts with Aaron, and indulging in delicious food.

21. How did you spend New Year's?
Put the kids to bed, watched TV with Steve, drank wine, went to bed early enough to get a respectable amount of sleep before our two living alarm clocks go off.

22. Did you fall in love in 2012?
Yes, with my daughter. Sometimes I just look at her and cry.

23. How many one night stands?
None.

24. What was your favorite TV program?
Downton Abbey.

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No.

26. What was the best book you read?
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
fun.

28. What did you want and get?
A healthy, full-term baby.

29. What did you want and not get?
Nothing.

30. What was your favorite film of this year?
The Hunger Games.

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 31 in January. For the life of me, I cannot remember what I did that day. Is that a sign of old age? I do know that I wrote 31 Life Lessons Learned In 31 Years.

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
More Downton Abbey episodes.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
Simple, comfortable, and stretchy. I was pregnant for most of the year, so maternity jeans and jersey material were my friends.

34. What kept you sane?
My parents, kids' afternoon naps, strong coffee, dates with Steve, green smoothies.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Jillian Michaels, my fitness hero.

36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Election season. I hated it and loved it, and wanted to throw things at all the stupidity.

37. Who did you miss?
All of our Los Angeles friends.

38. Who was the best new person you met? 
My baby daughter (which is certainly clear by now, since I mentioned her at least six times in this list already).

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012. 
Embrace weakness, and let go of perfectionism.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"Through many dangers, toils and snares I have already come; 'tis grace that brought me safe thus far, and grace will lead me home." (Amazing Grace)

2 comments:

  1. love you so much Larissa!

    THank you for openly sharing your birth stories. I think hearing tales like yours of nonmedicated child birth (instead of horror stories) really helped me have an unmedicated birth experience. And you are right! Motherhood is intense and way more amazing than I had realized. I also look at my baby and cry with tears of overwhelming love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking to our daughter or son was the precious moment for mother like us. We can't help but cry.

    ReplyDelete