Monday, March 11, 2013

Life in Verbs

Enjoying... life without Facebook. I'm taking a little Lenten break from the FB, hoping to free myself from the consuming nature of social networking. While I feel less "in the know" with news and friends, I certainly have more time and brain space for other things, like writing, being present to my family, and reading books. Plus, I always have my news junkie husband to keep me posted on current events.

Celebrating... weddings of long-time friends and baby showers of new friends.

Wanting... pants that fit. Is it just me, or do others have this problem as well? I always seem to cycle through new pants that fit just fine in the store (Target), wear them for a few weeks, and then they inevitably end up too loose in the waist/hip area. Help me, people! Where are these elusive, well-fitting pants to be found?


Reading...The Whole-Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind by Daniel J. Siegel and Tina Payne Bryson. This is an incredible book for anyone with significant influence in a child's life - parents, teachers, social workers. It has great insights and anecdotes, and makes the science of the brain compelling to even the most un-sciencey people (me).

Loving... community dinners. We live in a community of 14 people (our family of four plus ten other friends living in two houses on the same property). One of the many benefits is that we have a weekly meal. Every Monday night, we gather for dinner. Meal preparation rotates among the group, and we get to enjoy regular time together. It is very counter-cultural to busy & isolated Los Angeles life, and so good for my soul.


Making... all sorts of things with our new Vitamix blender. We've been debating for months whether or not to buy one. Costco had the Vitamix on sale (yay!), so we went for it. I am so glad we did...it is amazing. We use it several times a day, and have made so many things with it - smoothies, blended cocktails, soup, almond milk, peanut butter. If you venture into our home, we WILL make something for you with our Vitamix and convince you to get one for yourself. Fair warning.

1 comment:

  1. I'm totally going to get The Whole Brain Child, can't wait to read it... it was great hanging out with you this weekend!

    ReplyDelete