Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Watermelon Agua Fresca


I've been thinking about creativity a lot lately. Last week, I heard someone say, "Creativity is the ability to take things that exist, and make them into something better." I like that. I may not have the power to make something out of nothing, but I can take what I have and make it better. These days I'm living creatively with my kids, in my new job role, and in my daily life.

Yesterday I was creative with a 30-lb. watermelon. My brother brought over this massive watermelon. We sliced it up, but sadly discovered it to have that icky mealy & mushy texture that characterizes some watermelons. So putting my creative resources to work, I decided to turn the watermelon into agua fresca.

Agua fresca (Spanish for "fresh water") is a light, refreshing Mexican beverage made of blended fruit, sugar and water. Many street vendors and Mexican eateries in Los Angeles sell agua fresca from huge tubs. You'll find all sorts of aguas frescas - tamarind, hibiscus, horchata.

The only prep work is in cutting the watermelon and removing the seeds. After that, you just blend the ingredients together.

When watermelons are at their peak (and really inexpensive...currently 99 cents per 10 pounds at our local market!), watermelon agua fresca is a great beverage to enjoy. You can also make an adult version by adding rum or tequila, or freeze it into popsicles!


Watermelon Agua Fresca


Ingredients:

4 cups cubed & seeded watermelon
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup white sugar, or to taste
juice of 1 lime

Instructions:

Put all ingredients into a blender. Puree until smooth. Chill in refrigerator or serve over ice.

0 comments:

Post a Comment