Tuesday, October 1, 2013

10 Things I Learned In September

At the end of each month, I write a post about things I learned. This practice has helped me pay attention to life. Some lessons are deep, some are mundane. 

In no particular order, here are 10 things I learned in September:

1. I love coaching people. I've been coaching in different work/ministry/parenting capacities this month, and really enjoy it. Training and encouraging people in a particular task or project is so much fun.

2. When Apple releases a new product, you can bet my husband will be the first person to snag it. I'm waiting for my iPhone to be shipped (estimated to arrive next week). Meanwhile, Steve already has his because he took a special trip to Radioshack last week. He wins.

3. I consistently have one fiction book I'm reading and six non-fiction books. With non-fiction, I cannot seem to focus on just one at a time. Maybe that's a reflection of my scattered thoughts. 

4. Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey Whiskey is my new favorite drink. It is smooth, sweet, and perfect over ice.

5. Being woken up by my kid at 2am saying, "Mommy, I peed in the bed," and then having to find one particular set of pajamas (the "yeti pajamas" to be exact) in the dark makes me really grouchy. 

6. It's easy to respond to criticism with self-righteousness and defensiveness. Not so easy to simply say "I messed up. I'm sorry." 

7. I missed the entire season of Top Chef Masters. Life has been so busy, I didn't even know it was airing. But now, thanks to the gloriousness of DVR, I can catch up on all the episodes. Yay! Also, Top Chef Season 11 is about to air on October 2. Bring it on!

8. My 1-year-old daughter doesn't speak words yet, but she can follow directions and help with chores. Check out this video of Alex throwing away some trash.

9. If I can't visit any Momofuku restaurants in New York, I'll just recreate the Bo Ssam roasted pork experience at home for our weekly community dinner. It was amazing. I doubled the recipe so we could have leftovers, and am glad I did.

10. I currently need a few simple things to make it through the day: good coffee, exercise and/or a trip out of the house, an afternoon nap, and some quiet time at night. If those things happen, I am good to go.

What did you learn in September?

For "things I learned" by other cool people, check out Emily P. Freeman's link-up at her blog Chatting at the Sky.

1 comment:

  1. It truly is the simple things that can make a day that much better

    ReplyDelete