Thursday, December 5, 2013

10 Things I Learned in November

I'm a little late with this post, but that's just how life's been y'all.

At the end of each month, I write a post about things I learned. This practice has helped me pay attention to life. In no particular order, here are 10 things I learned in November:

1. Daylight Savings is a dumb, cruel joke on parents with young kids.

2. Out of all the Popes, Pope Francis is my favorite. He does awesome things like drive a used car, embrace tumor-covered people, and oh yeah, he used to be a nightclub bouncer. What a rock star.

3. I say "yeah" and "um"  and "like" WAY too frequently for a woman in her 30's. This needs to stop.

4. My son can kick a nurse armed with a flu vaccination REALLY hard. He kicked and shrieked in pure terror before the nurse and I finally strong-armed him into being still enough for the shot. At least now I can positively say that when under duress, he'll stand his ground.

5. Humans of New York, a collection of portraits and captions, is my new creative inspiration. My brother gave me the book and introduced me to the Instagram feed. I'm hooked by the beautiful images and stories of each person.

6. Great conversations happen in hot tubs and in the car on road trips.

7. I am losing my mind. In the last week, I lost my keys, forgot to set a timer and burned bread in the oven, accidentally tossed a metal colander in the trash can, left my wallet at home, and knocked over and broke our French press coffee maker. I may need a straitjacket soon.

8. Scott toilet paper is the worst. I'm not very picky with bath tissue, but it is the equivalent of scraping sandpaper all over your butt. Too bad for us, we have a huge box of this junk to use up.

9. Having long-term friends who know you well is something to treasure. Recently I had two friends reflect back to me how I am different (for the better) than even a few years ago. They are totally right, and I never would have realized that if it hadn't been for those people in my life.

10. Joy can be had despite suffering, tiredness, and life's messes.

What did you learn in November? 

I'm linking up with Emily at Chatting at the Sky - check out what other people learned this month.

0 comments:

Post a Comment