The sweater cover isn't going to protect a dropped case from being damaged, but I think it will do for my needs. Now I can slip the cover on, insert the laptop in a bag or purse, and rest assured that it will transport safely to Starbucks with me. In your face, expensive laptop covers! Mine has a cool sweater belt bow.
Below is my simple tutorial. Sorry that it's not more precise, but hopefully you get the gist of how to do it yourself.
DIY Sweater Laptop Cover
- Sweater (ideally with a belt)
- Sewing machine
1. Lay sweater flat on a table. Cut off sides and arms of sweater, reserving the back side of the sweater. You should have a piece of fabric that's roughly rectangle-shaped. Lay it flat, and fold in half.
2. Lay laptop flat onto folded sweater fabric, and trim around it so that it is 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch larger than the laptop.
3. With a sewing machine, finish one side of the fabric (this will be the opening that will slip onto the laptop.
4. Turn the fabric inside out, match up the edges, and finish the remaining two sides with the sewing machine.
5. Use belt to wrap around the covered laptop, and tie securely in place.