Hello, 2015! I'm doing some of the same reflections as previous years, with a few new questions tossed in and some old questions tossed out.
1. What was the best thing that happened this past year?
We found out that child number 3 is on the way! She'll arrive in late February or early March, and we're eager to meet her.
2. What was the most challenging thing that happened?
We moved from Los Angeles to Honolulu. Leaving behind friends, church, and over a decade of living in Southern California has been difficult.
3. What was an unexpected joy this past year?
I've been doing formal training and education to become a spiritual director, and it has been an incredibly joyful, life-giving experience.
4. What was an unexpected obstacle?
Being in a new place, with young kids. What I mean by this is that it has been a slow, hard transition to connect with other people in a new city. I feel so exhausted that going out and making new friends feels like such a draining option.
5. Pick three words to describe 2014.
6. What were the best books you read this year?
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids by Dr. Laura Markham
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Daring Greatly by Brene Brown
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
7. What did you do in 2014 that you’d never done before?
I left my family for a whole week (for a spiritual direction retreat). I visited a chiropractor who did some crazy stuff with my neck and back. I successfully made several rounds of homemade ice cream.
8. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn't make any concrete resolutions last year. But for 2015, here is my main commitment: be a person of love, generosity, joy, kindness, and compassion.
9. What are you most grateful for?
I'm grateful for Steve and our ever-growing friendship/marriage/partnership. I'm thankful for our kids, and all the ways I've been changed by motherhood. I've loved spending time with my parents and grandparents. I'm also grateful for yoga, Netflix, phone dates with friends, and our church.
10. How did you change this year?
I enjoyed and embraced the chaos of parenting more than ever. I simplified our stuff by giving more away and buying less things. I befriended my limitations (at least a little bit).
11. What moments were most memorable?
A great, fancy cocktail birthday party. Hosting Monday Night Dinner with friends at our home every week. When we found out we were pregnant. Shipping all our belongings across the Pacific. When my grandfather passed away.
12. What are you looking forward to this coming year?
The arrival of our baby. Not being pregnant, wearing regular clothes, and drinking wine again. Continuing to grow as a spiritual director. Making some lasting friendships on Oahu.
13. What was the biggest thing you learned this year?
God is with us in unique and surprising ways in the messy and hard moments.