Today is day 9 of the challenge, and so far I feel really glad that I'm doing it. I've never before written so consistently, and have learned a lot about myself, writing, and creativity. Here are some of my take-aways from this first week of the project:
- It is a fun challenge to recall meaningful people and events, and another challenge to translate the memories into words and stories.
- I love storytelling. It's a powerful way to process and reflect on life.
- A thesaurus is invaluable.
- Some memories make good stories, others memories are more like snapshots. Both can be interesting and meaningful.
- I was a weird kid, and an even weirder adolescent.
- There are some memories that I have never shared with anyone until now. It has been, at times, cathartic.
- Writing my memoirs has drawn me to reading other people's memoirs.
- I want to write with authenticity and openness, but also believe that not everything should be shared.
- Drawing with a black pen and crayons is fun. That said, I am definitely no great illustrator.