Wednesday, July 1, 2015

10 Things I Learned In June


At the end of each month, I share things I learned. This habit helps me pay attention to life, myself, and God's presence. It's my way of reflecting and celebrating. In no particular order, here are 10 things I learned this month.

1. My kids' desire to watch television can be leveraged in so many ways. 

We created a list of things they need to do before having the privilege of any screen time. Parents win.



2. I have passed the age when I could eat whatever I wanted without any consequence. 

Steve and I went out on a date to celebrate our anniversary, where we ate all sorts of delicious yet heavy/greasy food. The next morning my stomach felt all sorts of horrible.

3. Our whole lives hinge on the health of our souls. 

How often do we consider that reality? I read Soul Keeping by John Ortberg, a powerful and insightful book about discovering and nurturing the soul.

4. Summer is made for drinking Moscow Mules.

5. Carrying my chubby 3-month old baby is the equivalent of going to the gym several times a week.

Which is sort of perfect, since I don't have the will power to exercise in any regular way these days. I'm not sure exactly how many pounds she weighs, but my back and shoulders have been so sore.

6. It is easy to see and criticize other people's flaws. The hard, painful work is in seeing our own flaws.

7. There is a site called My Morning Routine, where people from all kinds of places and professions share about how they begin the day. 

I'm intrigued by the habits that different people practice to live out their purpose.

8. Birkenstocks make my feet happy.

They are so comfortable, and go with everything (at least in Hawaii's tropical climate)...why did I not realize this earlier?


9. I need to stay connected with creative people. 

There are people in my life who are visionary, risk-takers, and creators of new and beautiful things. These people inspire and nurture the creator in me, and I constantly need that fuel to thrive.

10. Whenever I feel aimless or overwhelmed, my Daily Checklist serves as my guide. 

For over two years, I've had generally the same checklist of important daily tasks, and it is just as relevant and helpful as ever. In addition to my original list, I also added one more: be present to people. The challenge for me right now is how to work through my checklist during the hazy season of parenting three little ones on less than ideal sleep.

1 comment:

  1. "It is easy to see and criticize other people's flaws. The hard, painful work is in seeing our own flaws." -This is rich. And something that I'm really, truly realizing as of late. Not that it's not always been true. But lately, it's obvious, glaring really. And the things that bother me MOST in other people are usually boldly present in myself. Oh my soul.

    Also, MULES. Yes, give me all the mules all of the evenings of the week!

    ReplyDelete