Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Working Mother

After six weeks of maternity leave, I'm entering back into work.

I'll be working part-time, which is so exciting to me. I love my job, and my role as a mother, and feel so grateful for the ability to do both.

Twenty hours a week will be devoted to work, much of which can be done at home. The rest of my time will be spent with my son. Thank goodness, because boy, a six-week-old infant takes up a massive amount of time and attention. Hopefully I'll begin to figure out this new blend of career and family.

In the current economy and work world, I know that even having a job is something that should not be taken for granted. Multiple friends and acquaintances have lost their jobs. I know people who are struggling financially, and doing everything they can to stay afloat. Cutbacks and layoffs have become daily occurrences in the news.

Therefore, I am glad to have a job. I am glad to be doing something that I am passionate about. I am glad that my husband and I are able to provide for our family.

2 comments:

  1. It always surprises me a little when I hear about American moms going back to work after 6 weeks or so. Here in Canada moms usually take a whole year off (the government guarantees you get a year). I imagine juggling career and baby when he's so young is so much more of a challenge... But I'm sure you'll figure it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you only get 6 weeks, eh?! dawna's right! moms get a whole year off here in canada!...but it'll be nice to have something else to focus on, and it's a bonus you can work from home too!

    ReplyDelete