Monday, April 11, 2011

Microwave Lemon Curd


Magical things can happen with food.

This lemon curd is a perfect example. Lemon curd is traditionally cooked over medium heat in a saucepan or double broiler. This recipe, however, is made in your everyday microwave. Yep, really classy.

When I saw this recipe, I had my doubts. Microwaves are infamous for heating food too quickly and too much, often ending with burnt or overcooked results. I imagined the lemon curd turning out a massive failure, but was intrigued enough to give it a try. Boy, I'm glad I did!

The lemon curd was perfect. Tangy, sweet, thick, and spreadable, it is perfect with scones or toast. It took about five minutes of cooking time in the microwave, and several hours of chilling in the refrigerator. I ended up with three 8 oz. jars.

Microwave Lemon Curd (from allrecipes.com)


1 cup white sugar
3 eggs
1 cup fresh lemon juice
3 lemons, zested
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted

In a microwave-safe bowl, whisk together the sugar and eggs until smooth. Stir in lemon juice, lemon zest and butter. Cook in the microwave for one minute intervals, stirring after each minute until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the microwave, and pour into small sterile jars. Chill in the refrigerator to set. Store for up to three weeks in the refrigerator. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment