Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Banana Walnut Granola


This banana walnut granola is truly incredible. Seriously, it is the best granola I've ever made. Which is saying a lot, since I make granola frequently.

It's so great, in fact, that my husband protested when I told him I was about to post the recipe here. But since I don't plan on going back into the granola business any time soon, and I love spreading the joys of good food around, I figured that sharing this one would be the right thing to do.

I happened on this blend of granola in a moment of inspiration. I was craving something nutty and sweet one night, and while rummaging through our pantry, I found a bag of stale banana chips. I have no idea how long those banana chips had been there. Just before tossing the stale chips into the trash, I wondered if they could be revived somehow. "Granola!," I thought to myself. Armed with oats, walnuts, and other ingredients, I went to work.

The result was even better than I envisioned. The banana chips slightly caramelized with the help of the sugars and heat, and the walnuts and coconut gave the granola a rich, nutty flavor. We devoured the granola within a few days, and immediately made another batch.

Usually I would encourage you to make substitutions to the recipe, based on your personal preferences. Not this time! It is perfect as is.

Banana Walnut Granola


4 cups oats
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup banana chips, chopped
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
3 tablespoons flax seeds
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1/2 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Thoroughly mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Spread in an even layer on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper. Bake for 30 minutes. Stir granola, and bake an additional 15 minutes. Cool completely in pan. Store in an airtight container for 1 week.

0 comments:

Post a Comment