Monday, October 15, 2012

Rum Cake



Boxed cake mix and I have a love-hate relationship.

On one hand, it goes against some of my reigning cooking principles, make everything from scratch and processed food is evil.

On the other hand, boxed cake mix produces one of the best cakes in the world. I have eaten this cake for as long as I can remember. My mom made it frequently for parties and potlucks, and even submitted it into a community cookbook. I made this cake once when Steve and I were dating (before I really knew how to cook anything), and he officially declared it his favorite dessert. I may have won his heart right at that moment.

I suppose I could make this rum cake from scratch. But for real, it is so darn good as it is, I can't bear to make it any other way. Please don't judge me.

The cake is incredibly moist and spongy, soaked in a buttery rum glaze that puts it over the top. The rum glaze is strong. For a less intensely-alcoholic glaze, add the rum with the other glaze ingredients (allowing the alcohol to cook down a bit).

And please, let me know if you nab a spouse with this cake.

Rum Cake


Cake:
1 box yellow cake mix
1 package instant vanilla pudding mix
4 eggs
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup dark rum

Glaze:
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup dark rum

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a 10-inch bundt pan. In a large bowl, combine cake mix and pudding mix. Mix in the eggs, 1/2 cup water, oil and 1/2 cup rum. Blend well. Pour batter into the pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Let sit for 10 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto serving plate. As it cools, make glaze. In a saucepan, combine butter, 1/4 cup water and 1 cup sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat and continue to boil for 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup rum. Pour about 1/4 of the glaze into empty bundt pan. Carefully reinsert cake back into pan. With a fork or skewer, poke holes into the cake. Drizzle the remaining glaze over the cake. Let sit for about 30 minutes, allowing glaze to absorb. Turn cake out onto serving plate.

0 comments:

Post a Comment