In no particular order, here are 10 things I learned this past month:
1. A Cheerios commercial featuring a multi-ethnic family can stir up a lot of controversy. Go Cheerios for standing by your ad, and for reflecting a cultural reality of our day!
2. Writing inspiration ebbs and flows in very unpredictable patterns for me. When the inspiration is there, I need to let it wash over me, and write, write, write.
3. Little children turn really wild when armed with a stick and told to demolish a donkey piñata.
4. Goodreads is like that awesome friend who recommends just the right books to you. I've been making my way through the Best Young Adult Books list. On my nightstand currently is To Kill a Mockingbird (how did I pass through high school without ever reading this?!).
5. Our family of four can survive a week of living in a tiny one-room cabin.
6. After 10 years as a campus minister, I am still blown away by the incredibly fulfilling, exciting, and challenging job I have.
7. In real life I'm a pretty decent liar. But in a game (Resistance) when I'm supposed to lie, I am terrible at it. I have no idea what this says about me.
8. A Dark 'N' Stormy is a cocktail consisting of spiced rum and ginger beer. The Yard House's version is deeeelicious.
9. It is really difficult for me to sit still and rest. Which is probably a good indication that stillness and rest are good for me.
10. I need a vacation. And off I go to Palm Springs on a family trip to enjoy 109 degree weather.
What did you learn this month?