Wednesday, March 21, 2012

No-Bake Energy Bites

 

I have been searching for good, healthy, homemade snacks that we can have at home or while on the go, and found these little no-bake energy bites. They are the perfect snack - portable, easy to make, and short in ingredients. They are sort of like chewy granola bars, in ball form.

Our family devoured the first batch, and I quickly had to make more. Substitutions could easily be made - use different nut butters, add in some chopped nuts, whatever you want. In any case, I recommend skipping the expensive, store-bought energy bars, and enjoying these yummy munchies instead!

No-Bake Energy Bites (from Smashed Peas and Carrots


1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup peanut butter (or other nut butter)
1/3 cup honey
1 cup coconut flakes
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla 

Mix everything above in a medium bowl until thoroughly incorporated. Let chill in the refrigerator for half an hour. Once chilled, roll into balls. Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 2 weeks. Makes 18-20 bites.

5 comments:

  1. Nutrition data per bite (assuming 20 servings):

    8.75 g fat
    13.85 g carbs
    2.1 g fiber
    2.95 g protein

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! I'm always meaning to calculate the nutrition info on recipes, but hardly ever get to it.

      Delete
  2. I wanted to let you know that I made these today with a few changes due to what I had on hand. I used SunButter instead of Peanut and Maple Syrup instead of Honey. Then I used 1.5 C oats and 1/2 cup hemp seeds because I didn't have coconut flakes (sad because I LOVE coconut). Then I added a few Tablespoons of Pumpkin puree (fresh not canned so it's more watery) and a few shakes of pumpkin pie spice. Everything else I kept the same. They are super yummy! I just wanted to share! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing, Kaely. I just love how easily these can be altered, depending on personal taste or whatever is on hand! Fresh pumpkin sounds like a great addition.

      Delete
    2. I am adding a little more pumpkin tonight when I make them and putting flax instead of hemp seeds. These are a really really great snack for gluten-free folks like my son and husband, they love them! Thanks for the recipe and really there are lots of alteration possibilities which is great!

      Delete